Fall programming is in full swing! Check out the following news to learn what's going on and how to stay connected:
- The Joining God's Family class begins this Sunday, September 6, during the 11:00 service. This four-week class will take place in room 204 and via Zoom. To register, visit www.socc.org/kids.
- Sherwood Kids! In-Person Sunday Morning Gatherings will include a large-group time and a small-group time beginning on September 6. For more information about our COVID-19 mitigation plan for in-person gatherings, contact Stephen Figert at .
- Beginning this Sunday, September 6, your kids can participate in their Sunday-morning elementary or early-childhood small group in person or virtually. To join a small group virtually, register for the "Hangout" at socc.org/kids.
- Power Up with Prayer. Each week from September through June, your kids can participate in Sherwood Oak's "Year of Prayer." Simply pick up a "Power Up with Prayer" poster for each of your kids. (They'll be available for pick-up at the East campus on Sunday mornings and throughout the week beginning on September 6.) Then, follow the weekly prayer prompts at socc.org/kids and on social media.
- Register for a SK! Core Group. These groups are designed to provide a safe space for kids to connect with other kids. Register at socc.org/kids, and we'll place your child in a group that suits his/her interests and availability.
- Conversations along the Road videos are posted at socc.org/kids and on Instagram (sherwoodkids_east) and Facebook (Sherwood Kids!) every 1st and 3rd Friday of the month. Join Adrienne Garrison--a parent in our church family--on her journey to learn more about having challenging conversations with kids. The next video will be posted this Friday, September 4.
- SK! Show-N-Tell videos. Kids have so much to teach each other (how to make a craft, how to mix colors to make a new color, how to play an instrument, how to catch a bug, how to make food,..., the possibilities are endless!). The SK! Show-N-Tell videos provide an opportunity for your kids to do just that--teach their peers. So, if your child would like to record and share a 5 minute instructional video, let us know by signing him/her up at socc.org/kids.
- SK! Ask & Seek videos. Kids have so many questions about God, the Bible, the church: who wrote the Bible, why do we sing at church, is God a person, what are angel wings made out of, did Jesus eat pork, etc. etc., etc. In the spirit of what Jesus says in Matthew 7:7, the Ask & Seek videos create a space for your kids to ask questions and find answers. So, ask your child if he/she has any questions, then use the form at socc.org/kids to submit the questions to us. We'll make and post a SK! Ask & Seek video that answers your child's question.
- Check out other SK! Online Resources at socc.org/kids! Teachable Moments, Faith Tools, and Story Time are all resources designed to help families to grow in their relationship with Jesus and stay connected with our faith community.
- SK! Porch Visits. The SK! staff and volunteers have missed seeing your kiddos and would love to schedule a time to stop by your home to say Hi and deliver a little goodie bag. (We would stay outside and follow the health department's guidelines for masks and social distancing.) If you would like to schedule a porch visit, please fill out the form at socc.org/kids.
- Join a Life Group. This is a great way for your family to continue to participate in our faith community through small-group gatherings. For more information, email Allen Burris ( ) or Nancy Barrow ( ).
- WANTED! Every SK! area is in great need of more volunteers who will spend one hour every week or every other week for the fall semester (August-December) building relationships with a small group of kids and helping them grow in their relationship with Jesus. Please contact Stephen Figert ( ) to learn more about joining the SK! volunteer team.
- Desiree Chenault is resigning as the Sherwood Kids Nursery Coordinator and Administrative Assistant. While the Sherwood Kids staff is very sad to lose such a caring leader and talented teammate, we are extremely thankful that Desiree has spent the past 4 years sharing her organizational skills, problem-solving skills, and her how-can-I-help-you attitude with the children's ministry. What a gift! We are also excited to see God's plans for Desiree to continue to unfold for her and her family. Please keep Desiree and Sherwood Kids in your prayers as we go through this season of change.
- Sherwood Kids is currently looking for a part-time Nursery Coordinator who would oversee the Nursery program. If you know someone who would like to apply, please tell them to send a cover letter and resume to Stephen Figert at by Friday, September 11.
If you would like more information about the goings-on in Sherwood Kids!, feel free to visit our webpage (socc.org/kids), follow us on Instagram (sherwoodkids_east), and join our Facebook page (Sherwood Kids!). You can also let your child see SK! posts by giving him/her access to our webpage and/or showing him/her the posts through your social media accounts. As always, please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or concerns.