We are watching the unimaginable snow and ice devastation in Texas and wanted to share this list of resources/places you can contribute and help if you feel so inclined!
- The Salvation Army provides shelter, food, and other necessary items to those in need throughout Texas.
- The American Red Cross is supporting at least 35 warming centers with cots and blankets across the state.
- In Austin, the area Urban League has started the #LoveThyNeighborTX campaign to raise money for hotel rooms, food, water, clothing, and other basic needs of the housing insecure communities.
- Local small business Free Lunch is making deliveries of home-cooked meals, blankets, hand warmers, and hygiene kits to the Esperanza Community residents, a state-sanctioned shelter/campsite in the city.
- The Other Ones Foundation is also providing resiliency kits for residents of the campsite. The kits include basic needs for those experiencing homelessness.
- Dallas-area organizations Austin Street Center, OurCalling, The Stewpot, Union Gospel Mission, and Oak Lawn United Methodist Church are pooling funds to help pay for temporary shelter as well as Covid-19 rapid tests for those in need.
- Lucille's 1913 Community Kitchen is preparing and distributing meals in the Houston area.
- Caritas of Austin also helps those experiencing housing insecurity in the Austin area. You can support their work by making a monetary donation or ordering items from their Amazon wish list to be shipped directly to the center.