Read John 18:
- What happened when Jesus and his disciples went to the olive grove?
- How did Jesus show he was in control of his arrest?
- How did Peter respond to questions about his associations with Jesus?
- What did Jesus the Annais about his teaching?
- Why did religious leaders take Jesus to Pilate?
- Reflect: Jesus is praying at the Mount of Olives and is arrested. Peter tries to protect Jesus and strikes one of the guards ears off, but Jesus stops them and says, “Shall I not drink from the cup of suffering the Father has given me?” (11). The disciples scattered hiding. Peter denies knowing Jesus three times out of fear for his life. The Jewish leaders are trying to have Jesus killed, but the Roman governor Pilate found no fault in Jesus under Roman law.
- Ask: Do you think Jesus forgave Peter’s sin of denying him? What were the Jewish leaders fearful of? Why did they see Jesus as a threat?
- Activity: Pretend you are Jesus defense attorney. List your arguments why he shouldn’t be killed.
Why did Peter have a sword? (18:10)
Who was the high priest? (18:15)