July 25, 2021
We have several open positions at Sherwood Oaks right now! Please check out the list below and get in touch if you fit one of these spots! Full descriptions and more info at socc.org/jobs
IT DIRECTOR: Sherwood Oaks Christian Church is looking to hire a Full-Time Director of Information Technology. This position will serve on our Central Service Team and is responsible for serving the mission of the church across all campuses through optimal IT solutions. If you love navigating technology and want to partner with a church looking to serve our people, community and world, we’d love to hear from you. Interested? Resumes and Cover Letters should be submitted to no later than July 23rd, 2021.
WEEKDAY PRESCHOOL & NURSERY: We have open teaching positions in both our weekday preschool and weekday nursery at East. Contact Marie at for more details.
Backpack Blitz is now accepting donations to help provide backpacks and school supplies for K-12 students in need in Monroe County. We are excited to share that this year Backpack Blitz will once again work to meet the needs of over 600 K-12 students and their families. Please consider supporting this year’s program by:
- Monetary support ($35 fills one backpack)
- Drop off in-kind donations at Door 2 at Bloomington East or the Welcome Center
- Sign up to volunteer
For more information contact Norma at
rev20 Music Festival
Join the Bloomington West worship team at the Rev20 Christian Music Festival in Spencer on August 7. Go to www.rev20.org for more details.
New GriefShare Options beginning in August
- Afternoons: August 18-November 10. Wednesdays at 1:00pm in Room 202 at East. Connie Phares will facilitate these classes. You can register online at GriefShare.com or by contacting Connie at .
- Evenings: August 18-November 10. Wednesdays at 6:00pm in Room 040 at East. Scot Schutte will facilitate. You can register online at GriefShare.com or by contacting Connie at .
Global Leadership Summit
Sherwood Oaks is hosting the Global Leadership Summit August 5 & 6 in Room 204 at East. Register here. Questions? Contact Jeff at
Sherwood Oaks Running Group
Hey Sherwood Oaks runners! Would you like to gather for group runs with a goal of running the Limestone Capital Half Marathon in Bedford October 2? The Men of Sherwood Oaks are hosting a series of group training runs on Saturdays at various locations. Our first gathering will be July 24 at Sherwood Oaks East, Door 3. You need to be able to run three miles before the start of training. This run is open to men and women, and runners of all ages. For more information, please register here, or contact Allen Burris at .
Our Path Support Group
Our Path provides personal, confidential support and information to heterosexual spouses/partners of gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender mates and mixed-orientation or transgender/non-transgender couples for constructively resolving coming-out problems and coping strategies. Our mission is to provide support, healing and empowerment to cope constructively and build bridges between spouses, families, and the larger community. Meets the second Monday of the month at 6:30pm in Room 202 at Sherwood Oaks East. For more information contact Kristie at .
Serving Opportunities - Guest Services
Looking for a place to serve? Come join our Guest Services team! Sunday volunteers are needed in our Coffee Team, Door Greeter Team, Parking Lot Team and Communion Servers Team. Contact Nancy Barrow for more information .
Serving Opportunity - Production
Our Sunday AM Production ministry needs Camera operators! We'll train. Come join the fun! Questions? Contact Sherry at .
FGA Volunteers Needed
Volunteer recruitment for the Annual Furniture Give-Away has begun. We need teams of people willing to collect furniture throughout the spring/summer, sort, clean and more. This is a great way for your Life Group to serve together as we gear up for the August event. Get info at the kiosk in the foyer or sign up at myfga.org/volunteer.html.
Contact Steve Dyer at for more information.
Life Group Leaders & Hosts Needed!
Our Spiritual Formation ministry is looking for new Life Group leaders and hosts for new groups starting this Fall. Leaders facilitate discussion, while the hosts are focused on hospitality for the group. We are planning to center groups around a new Teaching/Preaching series that begins in September. Not sure you are ready? We will provide full training, materials, ongoing support, and easy-to-use kits for Life Group Leaders. Contact Melissa Abram at for more information.
Adult Ed Classes Meeting on Sundays
- Berean Class at 9:30 in Room 202
- Beacons Class at 9:30 in Room 204
- Faith on Fire at 9:30 in Room 166
- Guided By Grace at 9:30 in Room 040
- Women Reaching Women at 9:30 in Room 224
Questions about Adult classes? Contact Melissa at .
Sherwood Kids Upcoming Fun!
- Back-to-School Pool Party at Bryan Park Pool is July 30 from 7:15pm-9:15pm. Invite a neighbor and join us for a splash of fun before school begins! If you have any questions, feel free to contact us at .
- Family Sunday is in the gym August 1 during the 9:30 and 11:00 services. Family Sunday is a bi-annual opportunity for families to learn about and worship God together through interactive Bible teaching and high-energy praise music. Please note that all preschoolers through 5th graders will attend the Family Sunday service in the gym. (There will be regular programming for kids ages birth through three years old only.)
- Prayer Sunday is August 8. Prayer is one of the most important things we can do as followers of Jesus. We want to talk with Jesus first in every situation, good or bad. So, in every SK! area on August 8 during the 9:30 and 11:00 services, the kids and volunteers will spend the entire service hour learning about and practicing the spiritual discipline of prayer.
- AWANA and Kids Choir begins August 25 from 6:00pm-7:30pm. During this time the kids will participate in a dynamic, gospel-centered program and prepare for several choir performances. The registration fee is $30 per child, and it covers all the expenses for the 9-month program--the musical t-shirts, the choir CDs, the AWANA uniform, the AWANA child handbooks, the AWANA CDs, and more. (The registration fee is waived if a parent or guardian volunteers on Wednesday evening.) Register or volunteer here.
- Joining God's Family is every Sunday in September at 11:00am. Kids should bring a notebook, Bible, and highlighter. Register at socc.org/kids today.
Student Ministry Fall Kick-Offs
Kids in grades 6-12 are invited to join us August 8 for our fall kick-offs. Middle School: 3:00pm-5:00pm; High School: 6:00pm-8:00pm. Get more information by contacting Cheryl at .
Women's Worship Night
Join us August 8 at 6:00pm in the Worship Center at our East Campus for a wonderful evening of worship, prayer and devotion! Questions? Email .
Are you a college student in Bloomington? Join us for a free lunch and to learn more about what is happening in Sherwood Oaks College Ministry August 22 at 12:00pm in the Fellowship Hall at East. Questions? Contact Sarah at
What's Next Parenting Workshop (Early Childhood)
August 29 from 11:00am-1:30pm. This parenting workshop is one of four workshops designed to encourage intentional, Christ-centered parenting in each phase of a child's life (i.e., Nursery, Early Childhood, Elementary, and Jr. High). If you have kids new to or about to enter the early childhood phase (2-5 years old), please join us on August 29 as we look ahead to this phase and work together to prepare for it. Lunch will be provided. To learn more or to register, visit socc.org/kids. (Note: The other 3 workshops focus on the other three phases respectively. The Nursery workshop will be offered in October, Jr. High in March, and Elementary in May.)
Life Group Opportunities
We're excited to launch more Life Groups this fall and we need your help! Here are two ways you can get connected:
- Leader Training: August 15 at 11:00am in room 166 at Bloomington East
- GroupLink: August 29 at 11:00am in room 161 at Bloomington East
Get more info or register at socc.org/lifegroups
What's Next for West Info Meetings:
- August 22 at 6:00pm at the Amvets. Have questions you'd like to get answered? Submit them at socc.org/west.
Wednesday Night Programming Fall Kickoff
Join us at the Bedford campus August 18 from 6:00pm - 7:30pm to kick off Wednesday Night Programming. We start with a cookout and fellowship. Then the ministry leaders (Women's, Men's, Student, and Kids) will be available to answer any questions and provide information about what programming their ministry is providing.