Like the ancient church, Sherwood Oaks views and practices the act of baptism, by immersion, as the first step in your walk of faith. It is significant in that it happens once in our spiritual journey. Baptism is not an ending point, but a new beginning.
Who We Are
Sherwood Oaks is a church that is constantly growing and changing, but stays rooted in the Biblical principles that we are founded upon.
We are a church who:
- Chooses to be positive, encouraging and hopeful.
- Says Yes2Love when others might say no.
- Lives our life outside our front doors, into Bloomington and the world.
- Seeks to be living, vibrant and different than the world around us.
- Is committed to giving more than we receive.
- Reaches out in different ways to reach all people.
- Studies the Bible faithfully, to grow deeper in and share our faith with our friends, family, neighbors and world.
Doctrinally, we believe:
- Jesus Christ is the one and only Son of God, who died for our sins and arose from the dead. 1 Corinthians 15:1-8 John 3:15
- The Bible is the inspired Word of God - a real and relevant guide for how to live our lives. 2 Timothy 3:16 Psalm 119:105
- All people are tremendously valuable but have sinned and fallen short of God’s high standards. Genesis 1:31 Romans 3:23
- Forgiveness of sins and the promise of eternal life are available to those who trust Christ as Savior and Lord. John 3:16
- Those accepting Christ should repent of sin, confess their faith, and be baptized into Him. Romans 10:9 Acts 2:38
- The Church is the Body of Christ on Earth, is empowered by the Holy Spirit, and exists to lead non-believers to Christ and edify those who are in Christ. Ephesians 4:1-6
- Jesus Christ will one day return, take home His church and reign forever as King of kings and Lord of lords. 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18