Work and school and church...Oh my! Most of us families in Monroe County are overwhelmed. We're all doing our best to keep up with our ever-changing world and make plans that will meet the needs of our kids and our families as a whole. God is good, though, and He is in control! As you make plans for the fall, please remember to leave some space in your schedule to help your child grow in his/her relationship with Jesus. If you would like some help in this area, check out some of the following opportunities Sherwood Kids! has to offer:
Special Events in August
- Sherwood Kids! In-Person Sunday Morning Gatherings begin on August 9. Feel free to 1) let your kiddos join their age-appropriate program in person during the 9:30 or 11:00 service, 2) attend one of the in-person worship gatherings together as a family, or 3) continue to participate in one of the online worship gatherings as a family. For more information about our COVID-19 mitigation plan for in-person gatherings, go to socc.org/kids. If you have any questions, contact Stephen Figert at
- Prayer Week begins on Sunday, August 9. Prayer is one of the most important things we can do as followers of Jesus. We want to talk with Jesus first in every situation, good or bad. So, during the 9:30 and 11:00 services in every SK! area on August 9, the kids and volunteers will spend the entire service hour learning about and practicing the spiritual discipline of prayer. Then, throughout the week, we will provide activities to encourage and equip families to pray together at home. You will be able to access these activities via our webpage (socc.org/kids), Instagram (sherwoodkids_east), and Facebook (Sherwood Kids!). If you have any questions, please email us at .
- Sherwood Kids! Family Week begins on Sunday, August 16. We believe that the family unit is the primary influence in a child's life and that God uses the partnership between the church and the family to raise the church of the next generation. So, Family Week is a time when we will provide an array of simple, fun activities that will help your family grow and share together. You will be able to access these activities via our webpage (socc.org/kids), Instagram (sherwoodkids_east), and Facebook (Sherwood Kids!). If you have any questions, please email us at .
- Sherwood Kids! Bible Reading Week begins on Sunday, August 30. Reading the Bible is an important part of growing in our relationship with God. During the 9:30 and 11:00 services in every SK! area on August 30, the kids and volunteers will spend the entire service hour learning about and practicing the spiritual discipline of reading God's Word. Then, throughout the week, we will provide activities to encourage and equip families to read the Bible together at home. You will be able to access these activities via our webpage (socc.org/kids), Instagram (sherwoodkids_east), and Facebook (Sherwood Kids!). If you have any questions, please email us at .
Classes and Groups
- Parenting Workshop on August 26 from 8:00pm-9:30pm on Zoom. The job of a parent is all-encompassing: our kids need us to be their activity coordinators, chefs, educators, spiritual leaders, coaches, nurses, therapists, etc., etc., etc. Most of us, however, cannot fulfill all these responsibilities alone. So, if you have some creative parenting ideas or are looking for some, join us for this workshop where we will identify and address some of the challenges that parents are facing this semester. To register, visit socc.org/kids.
- Join Cub Scout Pack 164 on Tuesday August 18th at 6:30 in the Fellowship Hall at Bloomington East to learn about the fun of Scouting! Open to boys and girls in Kindergarten through 5th grade, Cub Scouts learn about the great outdoors, faith and citizenship through activities like camping, hiking, crafts and sports! For more information e-mail
- Registration for SK! Core Groups opens on August 1. These groups are designed to provide a safe space for kids to connect with other kids. Just let us know your child's availability, their interests (games, homework help, Bible study, etc.), their friend requests, their meeting preference (online or in person), and more and we'll place your child in a group that best suits him/her. These groups are not limited to kids who attend Sherwood Oaks, so feel free to invite friends from school, your neighborhood, etc. to participate. To register, visit socc.org/kids.
- The AWANA program for the fall has been cancelled due to the gathering limitations and uncertainty caused by COVID-19. The AWANA handbooks, however, are still available and are a great resource for families who would like to have age-appropriate Bible studies with their kids at home. To request a handbook, contact Stephen Figert at
- The Kids Choir is still exploring options for meeting and performing this fall. We will keep you updated.
- The Joining God's Family class will begin on Sunday, September 6, during the 11:00 service. This four-week class will take place in room 204 and via Zoom. To register, visit www.socc.org/kids.
- Conversations along the Road Videos are posted at socc.org/kids and on Instagram (sherwoodkids_east) and Facebook (Sherwood Kids!) every 1st and 3rd Friday of the month. Join Adrienne Garrison--a parent in our church family--on her journey to learn more about having challenging conversations with kids. The next video will be posted this Friday, August 7, and the topic is "Love, Not Hate: Teaching Children Love in Action."
- SK! Show-N-Tell videos will be posted bi-weekly at socc.org/kids and on Instagram (sherwoodkids_east) and Facebook (Sherwood Kids!). Kids have so much to teach each other (how to make a craft, how to mix colors to make a new color, how to play an instrument, how to catch a bug, how to make food,..., the possibilities are endless!). The SK! Show-N-Tell videos provide an opportunity for your kids to do just that--teach their peers. So, if your child would like to record and share a 5 minute instructional video, let us know by signing him/her up at socc.org/kids.
- SK! Ask & Seek videos will be posted bi-weekly at socc.org/kids and on Instagram (sherwoodkids_east) and Facebook (Sherwood Kids!). Kids have so many questions about God, the Bible, the church: who wrote the Bible, why do we sing at church, is God a person, what are angel wings made out of, did Jesus eat pork, etc. etc., etc. In the spirit of what Jesus says in Matthew 7:7, the Ask & Seek videos create a space for your kids to ask questions and find answers. So, ask your child if he/she has any questions, then use the form at socc.org/kids to submit the questions to us. We'll make and post a SK! Ask & Seek video that answers your child's question.
- Check out other SK! Online Resources at socc.org/kids! The Hangout, Teachable Moments, Faith Tools, and Story Time are all resources designed to help families to grow in their relationship with Jesus and stay connected with our faith community.
- SK! Porch Visits. The SK! staff and volunteers have missed seeing your kiddos and would love to schedule a time to stop by your home to say Hi and deliver a little goodie bag. (We would stay outside and follow the health department's guidelines for masks and social distancing.) If you would like to schedule a porch visit, please fill out the form at socc.org/kids.
- Join a Life Group. This is a great way for your family to continue to participate in our faith community through small-group gatherings. For more information, email Allen Burris ( ) or Nancy Barrow ( ).
- WANTED! Every SK! area is in great need of more volunteers who will spend one hour every week or every other week for the fall semester (August-December) building relationships with a small group of kids and helping them grow in their relationship with Jesus. Please contact Stephen Figert ( ) to learn more about joining the SK! volunteer team.
If you would like more information about the goings-on in Sherwood Kids!, feel free to visit our webpage (socc.org/kids), follow us on Instagram (sherwoodkids_east), and join our Facebook page (Sherwood Kids!). You can also let your child see SK! posts by giving him/her access to our webpage and/or showing him/her the posts through your social media accounts. As always, please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or concerns.